Friday, June 17, 2011

A Sampler

This classic parable was a crocheted reminder of God's presence, hanging in my grandmother's front room. I'll share it with you all today:

Jesus, I was on the beach and I saw a set of footprints, my own, because I was walking on sand and everything. And when my life was going fine, there were just my footprints. And then, when I had trials, as well as tribulations, I noticed a set of three footprints, which I don't understand, because I only have two feet and I cannot, for the life of me, think of what made the other footprint and I am deeply disturbed and scared.

Jesus said:

My son, there were only your footprints, because when things are going fine, I'm helping any one of almost seven billion people on the earth. And the extra footprint? When you were going through your toughest times, I strapped one of your legs to mine and we ran the three-legged race. And let it be known that, when you're down, I'm doing most of the work. Which I am more than capable of doing, but I just want you to know that you're lazy and it pisses me off. Why are you always at the beach?